Thursday, August 09, 2007

 

Dogs and Cats Living Together

Okay, I can't find a link for this anywhere, but apparently the Giants have traded Mark Sweeney to the Dodgers for a player to be named later. Talk about making a deal with the devil. I suddenly feel very sick. If this is true, it must be the first trade between these two teams since...when? I can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm too lazy to look. Did the Giants trade Trenidad Hubbard to the Bums in '98? Sounds sorta familiar.

Given the way Sweeney has hit this season, perhaps this is just a nifty sabotage job being carried out by Brian Sabean. Maybe get a potentially useful player from our arch-rivals for a little-used pinch hitter who will probably end up hurting them in the end? Brilliant!

To be fair, Sweeney did take over second place on the all-time pinch hit list this season, which was kinda cool, and he hasn't been horrible as a Giant by any means. I guess he just sort of symbolizes the utter failure of Sabean to net an impact first baseman over the years, when there were a few floating out there begging to be picked up (cough Carlos Pena cough). I'd wish him good luck, but...it's the Dodgers, after all.

Update: All right, here's that link we were all so worried about. Ahhh, so nice and warm and it feels so good, I...uh, I mean...turn that camera off!

And to answer my previous query, the last time the Giants and Dodgers made a trade was in 1985, when the Giants got our old buddy Candy Maldonado for Alex Trevino.

Also, Trenidad Hubbard was actually sent to the Indians as part of the Matt Williams/Jeff Kent trade. Wow, see what three seconds of research will do for you?

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?